Spice Lovers Chex MixCourse: SnacksCuisine: American, SpicyDifficulty: Easy
This is a spiced up — way up – version of the classic party food, Chex Mix.
- The Spices
1/4 lb total butter / bacon grease — whatever ratio you choose
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp curry powder of choice
1/4 tsp ghost chile pepper powder (optional)
- The Snack Mix-ins (6-8 cups total)
3 cups Cheez-Its (flavor of choice – I prefer Extra Toasted)
2 cups Sourdough Pretzel nuggets
1/2 cup crushed Rice Chex
1 cup uncrushed Rice Chex
1 cup Corn Chex
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees and place a 1/2 sheet pan with the stick of butter in the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the other spice mix ingredients
- When the butter has melted, add to the spice mix and stir for a minute to create a near emulsion.
- Add the snack mix-ins and stir to coat. Pour onto sheet pan and spread out. If too deep, split to a second sheet pan.
- Bake at 250 for 45 minutes. Then stir, removing anything stuck to the bottom. And return to the oven.
- You’ll know it’s done when everything is dry, but not burnt. Remove and allow to cool completely 1-2 hours.
- This will last, in a plastic bag at room temp for up to two weeks.
- I like to put in the crushed Chex first — they will create soggy flavor nuggets that stick to the other pieces.
- Next, add the pretzel nuggets, those can do with a little extra time to absorb the liquid.
- Everything above is just a guide — choose whatever mix-ins you have, remove the things you don’t like.
- Other great mix-ins include Cheetos (original type), Cheerios, pretzels of any type, oyster crackers (add last), and one of my favorite Fritos.