Hatch Green Chile “Pimiento” CheeseCourse: AppetizersCuisine: SouthernDifficulty: Easy
This Pimiento Cheese recipe doesn’t use pimiento at all. And let’s be honest with our pimiento cheese loving selves. The pimiento bits that come in a jar have no real flavor, they are purely decoration. So let’s use something that does have flavor instead.
Lots of option here and it’s hard to go wrong. I’ve swapped out the mayo for greek yoghurt — gives the whole thing a bit more of a tang. (I also hate mayo)
Other options are called out below.
4 oz Hatch Green Chile (weighed after cleaning and blending / chopping finely)
8 oz (one package) Neufchâtel cheese (or Cream Cheese)
4 oz (two heaping spoons) Fage 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt
3 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
2-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
12 oz finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- The spices
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp Hatch Green Chile powder
2 Tbsp Aleppo Chile Flakes
1 tsp finely ground black pepper
Very healthy squirt of Huy Fong Sriracha
salt to taste
- Add the Neufchatel / cream cheese to a large bowl along with the yoghurt, apple cider vinegar, sriracha, and Worcestershire sauce. Using a fork, smash and mix up the ingredients until they are smooth.
- Add 1/3 of the shredded cheese and continue to mash until smooth.
- Add the spice ingredients except for the salt and mix in.
- Add 1/3 more of the cheddar cheese and mash mash mash. (it’s a good workout)
- Add the rest of the cheese and the Hatch Green Chile and mix.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pretty much all of the ingredients in the spice section can be swapped out for others and this will still taste great. Use what you have and what you like. Adjust the heat level to your preference.
- Also note that this will continue to get better sitting in the fridge for the next 2-3 days.