Hatch Green Chile Mac and CheeseCourse: MainCuisine: American, New MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Spicy, cheesy, delicious. Make sure you understand, this is Green Chile Mac and Cheese, not Mac and Cheese with Green Chile. That said, just about anything below can be adjusted as wanted. Don’t like a spice? Then remove it. Really like a spice? Add more of it! Want more cheese? Add it!
This is made in the instant pot, but you can actually skip a step doing it on the stove, if you wish. But it will take more pampering. More about that later.
1lb Large Elbo Macaroni
4-5 cups water
- The Spice!
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp powdered mustard
2 Tbsp Sriracha or other hot sauce
1 tbsp hot hatch red chile powder (or other hot chile powder)
1 cup milk
- The Cheese!
1/2 – 1 lb shredded cheese — as you prefer — 1/2 is about the minimum, and more than a pound and it gets a little thick. Of this total I like to use 4oz of smoked cheese like smoked cheddar or smoked gruyere.
4 oz cream cheese or neuchafel cheese (makes it creamier)
- The Chile!
8oz Chopped, cleaned, Hot Hatch Green Chile!
- Put the pasta and water in the instant pot with a dash of salt. Give it a stir and set to Manual mode, high pressure, 5 minutes. When it’s done, quick release the pressure.
Give the pasta a stir and drain any excess water.
- Add the spice addition ingredients and give it another stir.
- Add the shredded cheese 1/2 cup at a time, stirring it in until it melts in.
- Add extra milk a couple tablespoons at a time as needed for the consistency you like. (I like mine gooey, so lots of added milk)
- Add in the green chile, and, you guessed it, give it another stir.
- Serve and enjoy.
- This recipe can be done in a large pot on the stove, you can even skip a step. Instead of using 4-5 cups of water, use 4.5 cups of milk and stir constantly over medium-low heat on the stove top. You must keep stirring or the milk may scorch on the bottom and ruin the taste.
Once the pasta is done, continue with the rest of the ingredients without removing excess liquid.
- Everything is replaceable in this recipe — use different pasta, use different cheeses (but keep at least 2/3 a good high fat melting cheese like cheddar or american / Velveeta).